Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Vacation Series: Road Trip Essentials


Hey ya'll!!

Welcome to Day 2 of my Vacation Series! Today we are going to talk about my Road Trip Essentials and what I like to have handy for a long car ride. I'm also going to let you know what I do, and what I pack, for my kiddos. Let's get started!

1. Dress Comfortably
Long car rides are uncomfortable as it is, so dressing comfortably is key. I really like the tanks, tees, and shorts from VS Pink. They have tons of prints and color options, making it easy to match your top to your bottom. I also will be wearing flip flops because they are easy to get on and off in between pit-stops.

This applies to the kids as well. I told Lexi to just stay in her PJ's since we are leaving really early, and she can change into something when we stop for breakfast. She will most likely wear an oversized t-shirt with cheer shorts and flip flops. For Kason I will probably just put him in a white onesie with cotton shorts and some socks.


2. A Pillow & Blanket
Along with dressing comfy, I have to have a pillow and a blanket. Sometimes I like to lean against the car window, or my back gets sore from sitting so it's nice to lean back on one. It also comes in handy as a prop for any books or electronics I bring. I almost always get cold in the car after a while, so a blanket is a must have. The Threshold line from Target is one of my favorites. Homegoods tends to have really nice throws as well.

The night before we leave I am going to get the back seat ready for the kids. Lexi and Peyton are sharing the third row seat so I'm going to bring one of our comforters to lay in the seat to make it as cushioned as possible. I'm also going to have a pillow and blanket for each of them. I want them to be as cozy as possible so they can enjoy their ride. Kason has to be in his carseat, but I have a big fluffy blanket to tuck around him so he can be cozy too.


3. Gadgets
I have a big bag of goodies that I pack all my essentials in. I bring my iPhone, iPad, and my Nook. I have a pair of BOSE headphones that are super comfortable that I will be bringing along as well. I don't like to wear earbuds on long car rides because they hurt my ears after a while. I have Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube downloaded on my iPad, and HotSpot on my phone so I can watch TV and movies to pass the time. There will be long stretches of road where there probably won't be much service so that's where my Nook comes in handy. I have the Nook App on my iPad as well so if it's dark, I read on that. I also make sure to download any books, or magazines, I want the night before so they are synced and ready to go. I keep all my chargers in the front with me because my batteries tend to run out fairly quickly.

Lexi is bringing her iPod, magazines, 3DS, and a pair of headphones. Peyton also has a DS so they can play against each other. We also have TV's in the headrests so Lexi will be packing lots of movies for them. Kason obviously doesn't have any gadgets, but I will be bringing a stuffed animal and a couple of his toys to keep him occupied. If he starts to get cranky I can prop my iPad up and turn on cartoons for him to help distract him for a while.



4. Snacks
I will be bringing a big bag of snacks and an ice chest with water bottles, Powerade, and Capri Suns. I had Lexi come with me to the store to pick out some snacks and what we decided on was a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos & Cheetos Puffs, Ritz Cheese Crackers, Gushers, and Fruit By The Foot. I wanted to get a variety, but not too much because we are going to be stopping for breakfast and lunch. The leftover snacks can be used throughout the week as well.

I will have Kason's formula and multiple bottles in a separate bag in the back with him. I'm not worried about his solids on the drive up there. I'm going to wait to give that to him in the evening when we get to our beach house.


5. Skin Care
After a while I just start to feel a little gross, especially if I take a nap. I like to have face wipes, moisturizer, lip balm, and deodorant in front with me to help me freshen up.

I also like to have paper towels and baby wipes on hand for the kids. Kason tends to spit up a lot due to his reflux so I always have baby wipes and Johnson & Johnson Hand and Face wipes in his diaper bag. The baby wipes and paper towels will be good for cleaning up after snacks and taking care of those cheesy Cheetos fingers. In Kason's diaper bag I will have two bibs and two burp rags just in case a set gets dirty. Also plenty of diapers and an extra change of clothes for him.


6. Hair Care
I like keeping a brush, hair clips, and hair ties on hand. I wear my hair down on long car rides because that's most comfortable for me. But just in case my hair is getting in the way, or just getting on my nerves, I can pull in back. Since the girls will most likely be rolling out of bed, and going back to sleep in the car, they can brush their hair out and pull it back when we stop for breakfast.


Extra's to Think About
-Pack The Car The Night Before
We are going to pack the car with all of our luggage the night before to keep us on schedule the next morning.  I feel so much better packing it all before hand because it gives me a chance to make sure we have everything and we aren't left scrambling the next morning. Waking up at 5AM and packing is terrible, and you're bound to forget something. The only things we are leaving out until morning are our toiletry bags.

- Cash
I never have cash on me. I'm literally the worst person when it comes to that, but I really make it a point to get cash out the night before we travel. You never know what could happen, so having cash on hand helps put me at ease.

- Car Wash & Gas
I like to get the car washed and detailed on the inside before we leave on a long trip. Since we will basically be living in it for most of the day, I want it to be nice and clean. I'm also going to make sure the gas tank is full the night before. It would be really unfortunate to have to stop first thing in the morning for something like that. I want the car to be ready to go so we can get the show on the road as quick and easy as possible.

- Medicine
Medicine I like to have on hand is Advil, Allegra, and Pepto. It makes it super convenient to have those three in the car just in case someone's allergies start acting up, someone gets a headache, or someone gets a stomach ache from riding. For Kason I will be bringing his Zantac, Gripe Water, Gas Drops, Orajel, Benadryl, and Infant Tylenol. I also have multiple syringes just incase we lose one or one gets dirty. I like to be prepared!


I hope you liked getting a peak at what I like to bring with me on long road trips! Let me know in the comments below what your must haves are for traveling.


xoxo,
Casey


No comments:

Post a Comment