Thursday, June 5, 2014

First Impressions: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge


Hey ya'll!

The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is without a doubt the perfect dupe for the Beauty Blender. In my opinion, it's even better! I purchased mine from Ulta for $5.99 and the Beauty Blender is sold at Sephora for $19.95.

The Real Techniques sponge has a pointed egg-like shape on one end, and is flat and slanted on the other end. The Beauty Blender has a true egg shape with one pointy end and a round bottom. My favorite thing about the Real Techniques sponge is the slanted, flat end. It's perfect for getting right under the eyes and really helps smooth everything out.

Looking at the Real Techniques sponge in the package you can tell that it is larger than the Beauty Blender. When I took it out of the package it was light weight and was pretty firm. I wet it just like I would the Beauty Blender, and it too grew to twice it's size and has the exact same plushness and texture as the Beauty Blender.



Before I applied my foundation, I primed my face using Laura Mercier's Radiance Primer with my fingers. I then squeezed the sponge with a towel to make sure I got all the excess water out of it. The foundation I used today was my Benefit "Hello Flawless" Oxygen Wow Foundation in 'I'm So Money' Honey, and the concealer I used was Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind in Fair. The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge applied my foundation and concealer flawlessly. I used the body of the sponge to "bounce" the foundation across my face, the flat end to blend the concealer under my eyes, and the pointed end around my nose and in the corners of my eyes. It was so quick and easy, which is perfect for those days when I am short on time and need to get ready quick.



I think sponges are a great way to apply liquid foundations, especially in the summer time because you can apply it as sheer as you want, or you can build it up to your desired coverage. Also with it being wet, it feels really cool on the skin. If you live in the South like I do, anything that can make your skin feel nice and cool on a 100 degree day is real a winner!

I've had my Beauty Blender for quite some time now. There was so much hype around it when it first came out that I just had to try it out. I have to be honest, I really have never thought it was THAT great. Don't get me wrong, it's very easy to use and applies liquid foundation really quick and easy. But in my opinion, $20 for a sponge is a bit much. Especially because they don't last near as long as a brush. Yes you can clean your sponge, but after a while it just gets gross.

So at the end of the day, the real winner here, by far, is the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. It's amazing and you cannot beat the price. I love the size, the plushness, and the design. I have quite a few Real Techniques brushes and they are all such great quality. If you are interested in any of the Real Techniques products you can find them at your local Ulta. I've heard that some drugstores carry them, but I've only ever seen them at Ulta. If you know which drugstores, if any, that carry Real Techniques, please let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!

xoxo,
Casey



Just wanted to let ya'll know, the background used in the photos on this post are from the amazing book Living in Style by Rachel Zoe. I love Rachel Zoe, and her books do not disappoint! Click the link to purchase your own copy. I have it on a book stand on my bedside table because the cover is just too pretty to sit on a shelf collecting dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment