Saturday, June 7, 2014

Book Worm Series: Review - The Selection Trilogy by Kiera Cass


Hey ya'll!

I absolutely LOVE to read! It's one of my absolute favorite things to do. I have my Grandma to thank for that. She taught me to read when I was three and took me to Barnes and Noble regularly. We would read and drink endless amounts of hot chocolate on many occasions. Those are definitely some of my favorite memories as a child. I enjoyed reading through Elementary, but kind of fell out of it in Middle School and High School. I didn't get back into it until I was about 19-20 years old. My favorite books to read are Young Adult Fiction, but I do venture out and read books outside of YA from time to time. If you are a certified "Book Worm" like I am, then I hope you enjoy!

Today I am doing a series review on The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass. I had a lot of fun with this series. All three books were entertaining, fast reads. I purchased The Selection on my Nook a few months ago and didn't get around to reading it until recently. I finished it in three days and immediately purchased The Elite (Book 2) and The One (Book 3). I marathoned the entire series in a week. If you are a fan of YA 'Distopian' Fiction, and the show The Bachelor, you will enjoy these fun reads.



In The Selection we are introduced to the main character, America Singer who lives in the country of Illéa. Illéa, formerly the USA, is set up similar to The Districts in The Hunger Games. The citizens of Illéa live in numbered classes depending on how well off their families were at the time the nation was born. The citizens are numbered as One through Eight, One's are the royal family and Eight's are similar to The Factionless in The Divergent trilogy. America Singer is a Five, and lives at home with her mother, father, and little sister and brother. When the Prince of Illéa, Prince Maxon, comes of age, The Selection begins. The Selection is a nationwide search for the next Princess of Illéa. America is in no way interested in applying because she is carrying on a secret relationship with Aspen. But because of her pestering mother, and the encouragement of Aspen, she decides to go ahead and apply, knowing that the chances of her being selected are quite slim. Low and behold, America is one of the lucky thirty-five girls picked to win over Prince Maxon's heart. She is thrust into a new world, meets new faces, and has new experiences she never even dreamed of. America is a smart girl with a good heart, but she can be down right annoying at times because she is so dang indecisive! If you have read this series, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't want to give too much away in case any of you haven't read the series yet, so I'm going to leave it at that.


I give The Selection trilogy a 4 out 5 stars. It's not my favorite series, but it was fun and kept me interested and entertained.

I hope you enjoyed today's post! If you have read this series, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Also, be sure to let me know what books you're loving at the moment!


xoxo,
Casey


For more information on Kiera Cass, and her books, be sure to check out her website.
http://www.kieracass.com

2 comments:

  1. I loved spending time with you and finding books that you enjoyed learning to read. When you were 4 you came to school with me and read to the students. When you read to a fourth grade class one of the students looked up and said with a surprise on his face that he could read to his cousins. What an inspiration you were to the students.
    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete