Friday, July 25, 2014

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows

Hey ya'll!!

I'm really excited about today's post because it's all about my new Makeup Geek Eyeshadows. I've heard of Makeup Geek for forever now, just have never tried them myself. That's probably because they're all sold online and not in stores like Sephora or Ulta. I love to online shop, but I'm wary of purchasing new makeup online without being able to see it in person and swatching it first. I've been wanting a new eyeshadow palette lately, not sure why because I have plenty, but my makeup addiction is very real and it's always hungry. I almost got the Lorac Pro 2 but I stopped myself. I'm a self proclaimed Queen of Warm Neutrals and I knew deep down that if I went with the Lorac Pro 2, that it would be sad and lonely because I wouldn't get much use out of it due to it's cool toned vibe. There were no other palettes on the market that really peaked my interest, so I decided to build my own Z Palette with Makeup Geek. And let me tell you, I could not be more happy and pleased with the shadows I chose.
Makeup Geek shadows are very similar to MAC shadows. I have only a few MAC shadows, crazy I know. And from what I've heard, many people prefer Makeup Geek shadows to MAC shadows because the formulas and pigmentation are very similar, and the Makeup Geek pan shadows are half the price of MAC. Makeup Geek pan shadows sell for $5.99 each, and MAC pan shadows sell for $10.00.  Everyone has always been MAC crazy, but I never really jumped on the bandwagon. A lot of the girls I watch on YouTube use Makeup Geek shadows regularly. Jaclyn Hill recently did a video on her favorite Makeup Geek shadows that I will link here. When I was doing my research, watching videos, and looking at swatches, I saw that Makeup Geek has a lot of dupes for MAC shadows and many other high end shadows, and the pigmentation is crazy town! I couldn't believe how buttery and pigmented they all looked. What I really liked about the Makeup Geek website, was that they have pictures of every eyeshadow, every swatch, if there's a dupe it's swatched and pictured, and comparison swatches to their other shadows that are lighter and darker. This made picking my desired shades, and my online shopping experience, so much easier.
I chose the small, black Z Palette and built my "perfect" palette from there. I chose nine shadows because that's how many the Z Palette fits. I went with a mix of matte and shimmery shades that I thought would look the best on me and my skin tone. The shades I chose were 1. Shimma Shimma, 2. Vanilla Bean, 3. Beaches and Cream, 4. Purely Naked, 5. Hipster, 6. Latte, 7. Moonstone, 8. Pretentious, and 9. Mocha.
Shimma Shimma, Vanilla Bean, Beaches and Cream
These are the three lightest shades I chose. Shimma Shimma is a gorgeous, extremely pigmented, shimmery champagne color that is the perfect brow bone and inner corner highlight shade. It reminds me of Kitten by Stila. I chose Vanilla Bean because I like to have a light creme/beige shade as an all over base. It's not completely matte, it has a very light shimmer, and it's not heavily pigmented so I think it will be a great base. Beaches and cream is a matte, peachy nude shade and looks like it will be a great transition shade.
Purely Naked, Hipster, Latte
These are the three medium shades I chose. Purely Naked is an amazingly pretty, warm nude shade. When I think of the perfect tan shade, this is it. It's got a soft shimmer to it, and will work great in the crease and the lid, very versatile. Hipster is a taupey, light brown color with a slight shimmer. I think this is going to be a beautiful lid shade. Latte is a must have, medium brown. It's matte, creamy, and will look perfect in the crease.
Moonstone, Pretentious, Mocha
These are the three darkest shades that I chose. Moonstone is so pigmented! It's a shimmery, gray/taupe shade. It's cool toned, which I normal don't go for. But, I don't have any colors like this in my collection and it was just too gorgeous to pass up. Pretentious is a gorgeous shimmery, bronze brown shade that's perfect for a summer smokey eye. Like Moonstone, this shade is very pigmented. Mocha is another must have shade. It's a deep, matte brown shade that's perfect for the outer corner's to smoke out any eye look. 
I could not be more pleased with this palette. I really tried to build my perfect palette, and I think I may have achieved just that. All the shades are buttery, creamy, soft, and pigmented. The shades with the most pigmentation are Shimma Shimma, Moonstone, and Pretentious. I really do love every single one of these shades and will be able to create so many different looks with this palette. 

I hope you enjoyed today's post. Let me know in the comments below if you have any Makeup Geek Shadows and what your favorite shades are!


xoxo,
Casey

3 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for following! You have such a nice blog. These eyeshadows look so incredible. I've nominated you for a Liebster award which is just a bit of fun if you want to check it out? http://www.shesthunderstorms.co.uk/2014/07/liebster-award.html
    Alice xo

    ReplyDelete